What is a Progressive Christian?
By calling ourselves Progressive Christians, we mean that we are Christians who…
- Believe that following the path and teachings of Jesus can lead to an awareness and experience of the Sacred and Oneness and Unity of all life;
- Affirm that the teachings of Jesus provide but one of the many ways to experience the Sacredness and Openness of life, and that we can draw from diverse sources of wisdom in our spiritual journey;
- Seek community that is inclusive of ALL people, including but not limited to:
*Conventional Christians and questioning skeptics,
*Believers and agnostics,
*Women and men,
*Those of all sexual orientations and gender identities,
*Those of all classes and abilities;
- Know that the way we behave towards one another is the fullest expression of what we believe;
- Find grace in the search for understanding and believe there is more value in questioning than in absolutes;
- Strive for peace and justice among all people;
- Strive to protect and restore the integrity of our Earth; and
- Commit to a path of life-long learning, compassion, and selfless love.
“The 8 Points” (version 2001) Copyright The Center for Progressive Christianity