May 2016 Council Retreat and Meeting Minutes
Minutes from 5/21/16 Council Retreat
A Pilgrim Council Retreat was held from 9:30-4:30 p.m. at New Clarivaux in Vina. Pastor Ann led the Council attendees in several community building exercises then spoke to us at length about maintaining a calm and non-anxious leadership style during her upcoming sabbatical.
After meeting in small groups, the Council met altogether to discuss concerns and offer suggestions for the sabbatical period. The following topics were discussed:
- Worship – Plans for Children’s Time during worship will be coordinated by Paula Kahler with Elizabeth Shuster’s help.
- Sunday School will end on June 5 and not resume till September 4. Nohoko will care for babies through 3 year olds, and Kelly will care for 4 through 8 year olds during the worship hour. Older children will be asked to remain in worship with their families. Activity packets will be developed by Paula, Andrea Gibbens and Elizabeth to help educate and entertain these older children.
- Council Visibility – Pastor Ann will introduce the Church Council at an upcoming worship service and encourage any sabbatical concerns to be addressed to them. The Council names and responsibilities will also be listed on the back of every month’s printed calendar.
- Finances – Bob Cross will speak in worship about the necessity of maintaining our pledges during the summer.
- Fellowship – Serving Co-co’s will work on organizing two summer fellowship activities: a Father’s Day ice cream social to follow worship on June 19, and a family potluck supper at Whiskeytown Lake on August 28.
- Joys and Concerns – Serving Co-co’s will also try putting slips in the attendance folders to solicit joys, concerns and prayer requests from the congregation. Those slips will be collected by the ushers and left on Elizabeth’s desk. Elizabeth will then pass on the joys and concerns to Barbara Cross and the prayer requests to Peggy Mallory.
- FCM – Connecting Co-co Tyler Shuster will work with Michelle Martin-Streeby on publicizing the French Country Market and on distributing the proceeds from the market.
- Old Organ – Connecting Co-co Jessica French will work on disposing of our old organ and speakers. She has the Council’s permission to give it away if she finds any takers.
- Communications – A final suggestion was to create a Questions? Box and place it in a prominent spot with slips of paper and pencils. Elizabeth will be asked to empty that box and pass any questions found therein on to the appropriate Council member for a response.
Minutes from 5/21/16 Council Meeting
Meeting called to order by Moderator Tere Hancock at 2:37 pm.
Old Business: None
Treasurer’s Report: Lu Trullinger will be resigning from this Council position around September 1, 2016. Requests for nominations will be posted in the June newsletter and worship bulletins. Hopefully, a new Treasurer will be with us for our next Council meeting on June 30 and working with Lu in the months of July and August. Best wishes were extended to Lu on her upcoming move.
Co-co Report: Tyler Shuster, Connecting Co-co, announced that wifi is now available throughout our church’s first floor. Thank you, Tyler, for making this possible.
Pastor’s Report: Pastor Ann expressed her appreciation to the Council and our congregation for the gift of her upcoming sabbatical. She also expressed her confidence in the lay leadership of the church in her absence.
Pastor-Parish Relations Report: Paula Kahler reported that the PPR will be meeting with Pastor Ann and writing a subsequent article for the church newsletter. Their aim will be to offer reassuring words to the congregation about its wellbeing during Pastor Ann’s absence.
Pastor Ann offered a closing prayer and the meeting was adjourned at 2:57 p.m.