Council Meeting Minutes, March 18, 2018
PILGRIM CHURCH COUNCIL
March 18, 2018
Moderator Tara Swanson called the meeting to order and welcomed the new members for 2018. A quorum was established.
Ann offered the opening prayer.
Ann noted that there were several individual requests for emergency financial help that came to the church recently. Pilgrim does not keep a cash emergency fund on hand but we support community agencies involved with helping the needy. We need to be aware that these agencies are stretched and that there are many needs in our community
In Lu’s absence, Bob noted that Lu sent out a detailed summary of expenses for both January and February, to all council members ahead of today’s meeting. There were no questions on her reports.
Bob provided a clear recap of both income and the restricted accounts for January and February.
Larry presented the name of Pam Crowe for the position of Clerk. A motion was made, seconded, and passed unanimously to approve Pam to serve as our clerk. The committee does not have a nomination for Vice Moderator at this time. There was discussion of the experience needed to carry out this position as it leads to serving as the next Moderator. Several names were suggested to the Nominating Committee and they will continue their work.
Written reports from Worship, Learning, Serving, Connecting and a verbal report from Building/Finance CoCos were all approved.
1. There was a recap of the decision made at the December 3, 2017 Council meeting to put the French Country Market on hold for 2018. While French Country Market per se won’t happen this year, a group will discuss other fundraising / festival opportunities that we can do this year.
It was noted that there are folks interested in planning future fundraising event(s) and they will gather with the Connecting CoCos to brainstorm ideas for 2019.
2. A calendar of Council and CoCo meetings for 2018 was set.The Council Retreat will be from 9 to 3 on Saturday, May 19th. at the Hoxies’ home.Regular Council meetings will be second Sundays of odd numbered months after church. (Except the May meeting will be May 6 due to Mothers’ Day on the second Sunday) CoCo meetings will be first Wednesdays of even numbered months at 5pm in the Fireside room. (Except the April meeting will be April 11 due to first Wednesday falling during Spring Break)
3. The building/finance CoCos reported that a building use agreement has been made with Nancy Hill to hold a Children’s Drama Camp in our building this summer. The camp will run M – F, 8:30am – 3:00pm, the weeks of June 11 and June 18, 2018. They will pay a building use fee of $2600.
4 A discussion was held regarding the Interim Search Committee. It as then moved, seconded, and passed unanimously to rescind the Interim Search Committee that was approved at the December 3, 2017 Council meeting. The council then moved, seconded, and passed with one abstention, to name a smaller Interim Search Committee consisting of Elizabeth Betancourt, Diane Hepburn and Glenn Hoxie with Kathleen Foley to serve as an alternate.
5. Our By-Laws require us to appoint a committee of three to manage and oversee our Endowment Fund. It was moved, seconded, and passed unanimously to appoint Bob Cross, John Egolf, and Lu Trulinger as Pilgrim’s Endowment Fund committee.
6. The Interim Search Committee, working with our UCC conference, will conduct the worship service on Ann’s final Sunday, June 3, 2018. There will be a going away luncheon to follow the service. Community members who have worked with Ann during her time in Redding will also be invited.
We joined hands and Ann offered our closing prayer.